Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Gay Veterans Face Hurdles In Re-enlisting"

Before class today I grabbed an issue of yesterdays New York Times to read in my spare time. I was struck by the article on the front page discussing the issue of gays within our military. I can remember this issue bringing about very contentious and heated debate when the "don't ask don't tell" rule of the military was first brought under fire, but i did not realize that this issue was still one we are dealing with in today's society. We are in the middle of a war, and recruiters are constantly scouring college and high school campuses for eligible young men and women to join the military. Yet, we are turning people away because they are gay. I personally see this as wrong. I understand that some people may have trouble working next to someone who considers them self gay, but for goodness sakes its war, suck it up and fight the damn war and get back home where you can live comfortably under your own roof without having to worry at night. I think sometimes we as a society make a bigger deal out of things than we need to, instead of looking at the big picture, and at what really needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment