Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Taking the LSAT

This weekend I was able to take the LSAT. What a wonderful test it was: tested my logical reasoning and ability to sit still for 5 hours. However, as I walked gallantly into Hays to take this test I realized that I would, more than likely, be taking it in the midst of an all male population. In fact, I was wrong. Interestingly enough there were several females that made the arduous trek from IU and Indianapolis to accompany us in task at hand. I sat, having finished a section, feeling a small sense of accomplishment and relief, wondering what in world must this poor IU girl think of the conversation that was taking unfolding between us Wabash men. The conversation, like a UFC fight, was no holds barred: everything and anything could be and was talked about. This poor girl, I say this lightly because she more than likely, being a Bio-Chem Major at IU, beat the scores of everyone in the room by 10, sat silently until the break, and she didn't leave the room during the one allotted 15 minute break. We all tried to make discussion, some attempts more feeble than others, which in itself shows the unabashed, unadulterated conscious of a Wabash man, but none broke through that obviously embarrassed shell. At tests end, she simply got up and left unabated.

Here was my issue: after reading "Theorizing Masculinity," were we Wabash men trying, somehow, to exude such manly dominance and pride that we simply neglected all femininity in the room? I would say so. Joey was there, he could tell you. The author of the text quotes Derrida, and the necessity of femininity to define masculinity, but, obviously, with the exception of a handful of professors, there is no femininity to complement, contradict, anything this Wabash environment, as so well shown in this testing room. Part of me was embarrassed and part of me was so excited to be done that I left the room in the same fashion. But, now, as I look back upon this experience and consider the merits of all-male education, I realize that we lose a lot. The feminine offers everything back, everything we desire so heavily to exclude from our lifestyle here at Wabash. Why must we fight the feminine feeling so consistently. Slow down: let's truly learn something about what we are missing, and why it's important that we keep this environment... or is it?

1 comment:

  1. I also think that passing the LSAT is quite hard because this test requires a lot of preparations. But if you have proper guidance then you will be able to get good scores. I also had enrolled with one of the Best LSAT Courses and it truly helped me to get really good score.

    ReplyDelete